Blogger boogers

Friday, February 06, 2004

It's Heather's fault.

First, you should read Heather's Feb 4th blog entry.

Done? Good.
Pretty good, eh? Yeah. She's a smart one, that Heather.

Here's (most of) the email I sent her in response:

Feb 4, 2004
Very thoughtful entry yesterday.
Sometimes it's weird how similarly you and I think. I've had the same sorts of doubts for many years. You know I don't like the holidays, if not just for the lack-of-family issues but also for the crass overcommercialization of it all. There's little warmth to Christmas that isn't generated by advertising or retail sales or ulterior motives. I really hate that.

I don't necessarily subscribe to the standard Christian views about everything and I know that December 25 isn't really Jesus' birthday. But I think that the basic uncommercialized *ideal* of Christmas -- to be thankful for what you have and your family and friends -- is a sound idea. But it isn't going to be espoused genuinely by anyone who isn't looking for something to sell. I like giving presents. Let's have a day that's just "Present-Giving Day". Kind of Boxing Day-ish but not so close to Christmas. Make it in January. Middle of the month. On a Friday. Give the kiddies a day off from school. Give them all the presents they can break. But during the Christmas season, no advertising of sales is allowed. No sappy pleas by Sally Struthers that play on our capitalist guilt to come and give a starving African child a sandwich. On December 24, 25, and 26, all we do is celebrate each other and ourselves and any gods we may believe in. Churches are closed except for four hours on December 25. Apart from that, it's all got to come from within. No sports, no American Idol stars singing Christmas carols. Just families staying in and playing games and talking and laughing and maybe even crying. But it all comes from within.

Yes, I know I'm a cynical curmudgeon. But it'll still never happen because nearly 25% of this nation's economy is driven by two months in the winter. Carefully orchestrated and scheduled. Sally Struthers is waiting in her air-conditioned trailer in Kenya. Ruben Stoddard and Clay Aiken are standing in fake snow on a set in California. And Walmart is going to advertise yet another sale.

I think I'll go up north and find some deep snowy woods and stand in the middle of them and listen to the silence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home