Blogger boogers

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Baby names

There are days when I hate having to sit behind my desk working on some project that needs to be done the day before yesterday. Today is not one of those days. I ran across a web site that is not only funny, it's downright hilarious. It's a site that one Diana Goodman started up and it deals with people who are nearly insane. Or at least they appear to be so, judging from some of the crackheaded names they want to "give" their children.

Diana makes poignant comments (read "bitingly sarcastic") about many of these postings, which almost all come from a baby name site. She mentions the site in her pages but I couldn't find it. Doesn't really matter so much, as the sentiment seems universal, judging from the responses garnered through the 15+ pages.

Diana's site is here: Not Without My Handbag. Diana, if you ever read my humble blog, please tell me where you came up with your dotcom name. Actually, that begs another site with dotcom names in a similar vein. But this post is about Diana's site and I invite you to read a couple of excerpts that made me spit laugh, they were so funny (The part in regular text is the entry on the baby name web site, the italics are her response):

What is a nature realated name for a boy? I am pregnant with a boy and I already have four girls. My girls are Summer Skies, Autumn Night, April Shower, and Spring Flower. Please help I am due in November.
Star Light


Star Light, star bright, first star I see tonight. I wish I may, I wish I might, let this lady be a mental patient whose "children" are actually straws she stole from the hospital cafeteria.



My favorite name are:
Xev Chiana Louise
Nikita Gia Ravin
Gavin Charles Bailey
Tristan Michael Ares
I want kids to entire the world unique.
When they turn 18 can always change it. I hate name like Collette. She would get picked on. Kids are not always PG!


Yeah, well I like names not stupid. Names actual exist. Pronoun, verb like too. Names suggest cruel, unusual. Fourth Amendment Constitution ban 'Nikita' for all but French assassins, bald Russian men. Friend, good! Fire, BAD!

(Helpful reader and SciFi channel viewer Joan adds that Xev is a character from Lexx: "She's a virgin love slave, in love with an animate dead assasin." and Chiana is from Farscape: an "escaped convict, genetically altered by her home planets government to be a nymphomaniac" and spread an STD across the universe. What does this say about Mama's ambitions for wee baby Xev Chiana? Do we really want to know?)


The disclaimer is that I don't hate all of the names that are mentioned here. My own beautiful neice's name is McKenzie, a name which is bandied about frequently on these pages. But many (most) of the names are, indeed, a little (lot) odd (freakish).

Go to Diana's site. Read. Laugh. Appreciate. Learn. Mock.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home